Sunday, August 2, 2009

Little House On The Prairie


I didn’t have Skater shipped out to me until right before Christmas of 1999. My mom had had enough of her babysitting job and told me to take responsibility for my dog. As Skater had never been a house dog, I figured I was in for some rough days, especially with a Christmas tree, aka “pee post” right in the living room. I met Skater in St. Louis and, after a 2 ½ hour drive home to a very small town in southern Illinois, brought my four year old dog into a strange house in what was a VERY strange land. He was so happy to see me. I was glad to have Skater with me but nowhere near as thrilled as I should have been; to be honest, I really didn’t know him as anything but the show dog. Was I in for a whole slew of surprises.

I was thoroughly amazed at the fact that Skater was housebroken after one day and never, not once, did he lift his leg on the Christmas tree or touch any of the gifts underneath it. He adored my soon-to-be stepkids, who were only three and five at the time, and was so gentle with them. Skater adapted to EVERYTHING immediately. Well, almost everything. And his obsession with the bunnies began.

No comments:

Post a Comment