Friday, July 24, 2009

My Bug

It's hard to decide where one soul begins and another ends. Skater was an enigma in that it was hard to understand how such an old and wise soul could shine from the face of a newborn pup. He was of many generations of my breeding, lives known and loved before him all enjoined in this one magnificent body. Skater entered this world on June 29, 1995 and changed my life forever. The twelve years, one month and 15 days of his glorious life were so magical and prophetic that I want to share his story with all who will listen. Skater and I had a ritual ... every night, before I went to sleep, I gave him the "plan" for the next day. It went like this: "Okay, my Bug, here's the plan. We'll get up in the morning, do shnookles because I love to hug you, get up, go out, go walkies, come in, I'll make your breakfast and you can eat it. Then we'll do shnookles again because I love to hug you. And, then, my beautiful boy, I will spend my day loving you because you are the most amazing, magnificent, beautiful, kind, wise, loving, giving, forgiving person in the universe ... and you're my best friend. I love you, Bug, and I can't wait to see you again but you live in my heart forever. I love you my Bug, my puppy." I still whisper the plan to Skater every night; obviously, the last part was added after he crossed the Bridge. I will tell his story ... the show dog, the friend, the ambassador, the conscience, the magnificent....Skater.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Diane, what a magnificent looking boy this is. Wow....wouldn't mind looking at that head every day! I'm sorry for your loss, but for those who love, the one you love never dies. As long as your heart beats, so will your wonderful boys. Until you meet again, hold him close in your heart! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "Skatiebug" will never be further than a breath away...you were his life; his object of adoration...that kind of emotion be it dog or human does fade quietly into the night. He waits patiently for you; guarding his bunnies..until that moment when he will once again leap for joy as he sees your approach. Every time I hear a ciccadia (yes we have them here on Cape) I think of Skatie...he seems to like hanging around here! lol...maybe to guide Kiz over, I dont know. What a magnificent dog he is...in EVERY aspect.
    It never ceases to amaze me, how we can go about our busy days ignoring them sometimes...and yet, whenever we glance their way their eyes light up and the smile comes to their muzzle. They are so happy with whatever we offer.
    Skatey is a teaching soul...and he has many more lessons to give us.
    Love
    Dawn and Miss Tizzylish....(aka Kiz)

    ReplyDelete