Monday, January 25, 2010

KoKo






I really don't know what it is about some months that makes you just want to get through them and move on. This is one January I would definitely like to forget.

My good friend, Karen, called me in tears this morning. There is some psychic connection between dog people that tells you, without any words, that another wonderful member of a canine family is leaving this life. This time, Karen had the horrible ordeal of saying goodbye to two in one day, her Koko and Lexi. Yes, they were both seniors who had great lives but that doesn't make it any easier. It only makes you want to put off the inevitable and angry at the fact that our dogs' lifespans are so damned short.
I didn't know Lexi well but I adored Koko ... CH Jokare's Kocoum. He was my Divot's sire and is nearing his ROM but was oh so much more than the "showdog" or "producer". You know how you meet some dogs along the way, some very special souls who add a certain joy to your life and beauty to the path you take through this world? Koko was one of those dogs. I first met this beautiful black and red boy, the one with the sweet smile and soulful eyes, in 2004, but was fortunate enough to get to spend some really quality time with him right before I came home to California in 2007.
I stayed with Karen for 4 days before Divot, Lilly and I flew west. Karen had to work and, to be honest, I like getting to spend time with other peoples' dogs by myself. I was really interested in getting to know Koko and Kaz, Divot's sire and dam, and spent most of the cold days outdoors with them. I could easily see that Divot got her stubborn, bull-headed, my-way-or-the-highway attitude from her mother. Kaz was my kind of bitch, one who took no crap from anyone and made her feelings known loud and clear. She tolerated me, the stranger, but continually reminded me that I was on HER turf. I loved it. Then, there was Koko. My Divot has a soft side and it was clearly her daddy that gave it to her. It was hard not to revel in the peace of the countryside and the company of this wonderful dog. He hung out with me while I scooped, hosed and filled food bowls, and quietly accompanied me to make sure I did things right. He was a joy.
Koko need some minor surgery while I was there so I had fun building a little hospital ward for him in the house. Typical man, he milked it for all it was worth but he was such a GOOD boy; he reminded me of my beloved Skater and I really believe he knew, at that point, that he had me hooked. Like Skater, he was the epitome of everything a German Shepherd should be ... beautiful, regal, intelligent and loyal, he had that "undefinable" magnificence that only this breed has for me. And, like all wonderful German Shepherds, his eyes held the answers to all the mysteries of the ages; he understood what I was not evolved enough to comprehend.
I never got to see Koko again but he has held and will always hold that unique place in my heart, a place that is his and his alone. I look at his daughter a little differently, now, and see a bit more of her father's kindness in her. Bless you, Koko, and thank you for making my life more meaningful. I will whisper a hello to you each night when I give Skater his plan and, when my time comes to leave this plain, I will rejoice when yours is one of the faces I see again. Until then, play well my sweet friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment