Friday, January 8, 2010

Silly Lilly




Lilly has been part of my life for 3 1/2 years. I pulled her from a kill shelter in southern Illinois and took her in as a foster for Mississippi Valley GSD Rescue. She appeared to be between 6 and 8 years old and this poor, nameless girl had been so horribly abused that it was many months before I could pet her or put her on a lead without having her cringe and try to disappear into the floor. I named her Lilly because I thought that this crushed flower of a GSD could do nothing BUT bloom. And bloom she did.
Lilly had her quirks. One of them was spinning. I don't mean that slow-chase-the-tail sort of spinning but a whirling-dervish spin that could make you dizzy to watch her, Lilly spun when she was nervous, she spun when she was happy and she spun when she was excited. Lilly loved to spin! We had many trying months while still in Illinois and I soon realized that, if Lilly could deal with some of her fears, I would never place her anywhere but make her part of my own little doggy family; Lilly did not deserve any more rejection in her life. She respected Skater and tolerated Divot and the rest of the canine crew.
When I came home to California, Lilly got to fly for the first time. I was VERY apprehensive but she took it like a champ! This girl was an angel on paws who was finally responding to love. Lilly and Divot became fast friends. She put up with Divot's antics and bullying and found her own niche in which she thrived. The only thing Lilly ever hated were Terriers and I can't say that I blamed her - they annoyed her every chance they got. When I came to Santa Rosa, Lilly had to stay with my friend, Lois, for a few months but I went to see her and feed her every day - I couldn't bear to have her feel any abandonment and did the best I could for her. She did make one attempt to eat her own tail - something done to relieve stress - but we healed that up and she was fine. After a couple of months, Lilly was back with me and we were, once again, a happy family. She learned to be silly, loved stuffed toys and thought nothing of hogging half the bed at night. I loved it; my flower had, indeed, bloomed.
I had to make that hideous trip to the vet today and bid Lilly farewell as she travelled to the Bridge. Over the last few weeks she had become very ill and there was no alternative but to do the right thing and let her go. I asked Skater to please make her transition a happy one and promised her that I would be there one today and we would be a family - a HUGE family - once more. As was her life, Lilly's death was gentle. As I sat with that poor wasting body, I realized that all the titles and all the pedigrees in the world were meaningless when it comes to the value of a dog. Lilly had been beaten, abused, abandoned and came close to being gassed in a shelter. Despite her horrific beginning, she never showed one bit of aggression toward anyone; she was willing to try, once more, to trust and to love. Lilly succeeded; I only hope that I did. Till we meet again, sweet girl - I love you, Silly Lilly.

1 comment:

  1. oh! I hadn't been here and hadn't realized....
    Farewell sweet Lily... Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete