Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Long Day's Journey Into Night



It's been awhile since I've written anything ... this is the hardest part of the journey for me. From the time we arrived back in Illinois until Skater's death, four and a half years later, it was a roller coaster of health issues, all stemming from that original problem in Maryland. Apparently, Skater had licked up some de-icer and it wreaked havoc with his health. As always, Skater handled it all with grace and dignity and always seemed to know when my own emotions were on the edge; this dog ALWAYS took care of me first and his own needs were secondary.

It's still difficult for me to recount what went on during those years so I think I will go back to an article I had published and try to get it written down in the most succinct way possible. I have to try - for Skater. My amazing boy went through so much; I got to the point where the words "interesting" and "fascinating" were the LAST words I wanted to hear from a veterinarian. In fact, to this day, the words themselves bother me but they also serve to remind me what a miracle Skater was and always will be. I have never before and not since met or heard of any animal with such an immense capacity for love, compassion and the ability to give of himself. The bizarre health issues, all stemming from that horrible de-icer, that plagued my boy ... many, alone, would have been too much for any other dog to handle. But, Skater handled them all and taught me AND his vets what tolerance, understanding and love really mean.










No comments:

Post a Comment